Spreading Kindness through Reading
Released in January 2024 through Capstone, The Kindness Booth children's book is part of Greater Mankato Area United Way's early learning and literacy initiative. The book follows a group of friends who set out to make the day brighter for their neighborhood through acts of kindness.
Geared toward grades PreK-2, The Kindness Booth was written by Greater Mankato Area United Way Director of Operations & Communications Laura Murray and was illustrated by Italy-based Andrea Boatta.
As part of the initiative, Capstone is donating paperback copies of the book for Greater Mankato Area United Way to distribute to area schools. Please watch for more information. Thank you to Capstone for their continued partnership and commitment to literacy in our region!
Additional support provided by Lime Valley Advertising, Navitor Specialty Products, and the Olseth Family Foundation.
How to Purchase
Purchase a signed hardcover book at Greater Mankato Area United Way for $18. Cash, check or credit card accepted. A 3% fee will be added to credit card payments.
Books are also available for purchase wherever books are sold. Please contact us if your business is interested in selling the book.
Book sales benefit Greater Mankato Area United Way.
As part of the book's release, United Way will be hosting children's story times, author signings and other community events throughout the year! We hope you can join us.
- Tuesday, February 20: 10 a.m. Read & Play at North Mankato Taylor Library. Books available for purchase. Includes author signing.
- Starting February 6: School book deliveries to first-graders in Blue Earth, Le Sueur, Nicollet & Waseca counties (books donated by Capstone)
- Friday, March 1: 6:30 - 8 p.m., Family Fun Night at North Mankato Taylor Library. Enjoy storytime and crafts all about kindness! Books available for purchase. Includes author signing.
- Ongoing: Service clubs throughout the region. Please contact us to schedule.
- Ongoing: Upcoming literacy nights at elementary schools
More About The Kindness Booth Book
When Mya wakes up to a gloomy day, her grandpa asks her how she could make the day brighter. His simple question puts Mya into motion, and together with her little brother, Oliver, and neighbor Addie, she opens the Kindness Booth. Their plan is to spread some sunshine to the neighbors in her apartment complex by helping them throughout the day. But what happens when the booth gets rained out?
Genre: Realistic Fiction
Reading Level: Grades PreK-2
Interest Level: Grades PreK-2
Text Type: Literature: Narrative
Page count: 32