Community Response Fund
In response to COVID19’s impact on regional nonprofits, the Greater Mankato Area United Way and Mankato Area Foundation have come together to create a Community Response Fund to assist in their joint efforts to address emerging needs in our region. On behalf of both organizations, we would like to thank this incredibly generous area in advance and encourage you to join us in supporting the nonprofits that are vital to the health and well-being of our region.
About the Community Response Fund
Established through the Greater Mankato Area United Way and Mankato Area Foundation, this fund is designed to respond swiftly in support of nonprofit organizations that are serving the escalating needs of our communities affected by the novel coronavirus. Our joint expertise in community partnerships, resources, and connections ensures we are addressing the most pressing needs to keep our region strong and balanced.
As we work in collaboration with other philanthropic partners such as regional foundations, family foundations, and individual donors, our goal is to shape philanthropy’s response as quickly and as effectively as possible during this unprecedented time.
Update 6/9/2020: Community Response Fund evaluates next funding phase - View the full press release here.
After overwhelmingly positive community support, the Community Response Fund (CRF) of Greater Mankato Area United Way and the Mankato Area Foundation is evaluating its next funding phase as COVID-19 emergency response efforts shift to recovery. Grant review will be temporarily suspended as evaluation takes place. United Way and Mankato Area Foundation are gathering input from local agencies representing various sectors of nonprofits to determine prioritization of needs for the next phase of funding. If you are an organization and have questions about applying, please contact Sarah Beiswanger at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How the Fund Will Work
The initial goal of the Community Response Fund is to address short-term emergency nonprofit needs throughout our region. One hundred percent of donations will go to charitable organizations helping those impacted by the health crisis throughout the Greater Mankato region.
The Mankato Area Foundation will administer grants from this fund in partnership with Greater Mankato Area United Way. Together we will proactively identify potential grant recipients, review needs and requests, and recommend final awards. Funds will be released on a rolling basis as fundraising continues throughout the outbreak and recovery phases of the crisis, making it possible to move resources quickly and adapt to evolving needs in subsequent funding phases. As community needs change, we will reevaluate funding priorities and disbursement.
How to Apply
Fill out our simplified application.
We will evaluate your request and notify your organization if you are receiving funding.
If you have any questions, please feel free to email Sarah Beiswanger at email@example.com.
As of 6/2/2020, $182,450 total has been awarded. Recipient organizations include:
- BENCHS for a Pet Food Shelf for people who have lost jobs due to COVID-19 and can’t afford to buy pet food.
- Beyond Brink for emergency temporary housing with supportive services.
- Blue Earth County Library to provide learning materials to community families and outreach to individuals who are vulnerable to COVID-19.
- City of Mankato for sanitizing community nonprofits and providing them with cleaning supplies, as well as providing hygiene supplies for nonprofit distribution.
- Committee Against Domestic Abuse (CADA) for hotel funds for victims seeking safety from relationship violence.
- Connections Ministry for the Connections Shelter – COVID plan.
- ECHO Food Shelf for staff overtime, freezer storage, and pallet jack for large quantities of food donations.
- Feeding Every Baby Inc for infant formula, diapers, and other baby supplies.
- Feeding Our Communities Partners for hunger relief for food-insecure youth during COVID-19.
- Get Mankato PPE for supplies for making PPE to distribute.
- Hispanic Advocacy and Empowerment through Research for online mental health services.
- Life-Work Planning Center for technology to work with clients remotely.
- Lutheran Social Service of MN for LSS Mankato Area Crisis Nursery.
- Lutheran Social Service of MN/LSS Meals Mankato for LSS Meals COVID-19 crisis response project for Mankato’s high-elderly.
- Mankato Area Public Schools for supplies to print PPE on 3D printers.
- Mankato Youth Place to open club all day M–F and provide distance learning.
- Maple River Loaves & Fishes Food Shelf for help with supplies to provide clients with food.
- MN Assistance Council for Veterans to assist veterans with incidentals due to job losses.
- MN Council of Churches for support education to refugee families about COVID-19 and distance learning.
- North Mankato Taylor Library for the Books by Mail program.
- Open Door Health Center for the purchase of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Partners for Affordable Housing for personal hygiene and sanitation items, rental fees, hotel vouchers, additional staffing, and technology items.
- Salvation Army for housing and emergency assistance.
- SS Boutique for continued operations and increased response for COVID-19.
- Waseca Area Neighborhood Service Center for food shelf funds.
How to Get Involved
For an ongoing list of regional organizations’ emergency volunteer needs and needed items, please visit: www.mankatounitedway.org/needs.
Resources and Questions
General questions and inquiries about the Community Response Fund can be directed to:
Greater Mankato Area United Way, MankatoUW@MankatoUnitedWay.org
Mankato Area Foundation, firstname.lastname@example.org
For interested donors and partners, please contact:
Barb Kaus, Greater Mankato Area United Way, email@example.com
Nancy Zallek, Mankato Area Foundation, firstname.lastname@example.org
For media inquiries and interview requests, please contact:
Laura Murray, Greater Mankato Area United Way, email@example.com
Tricia Lewis, Mankato Area Foundation, firstname.lastname@example.org
Nonprofit organizations with questions about the granting process, please contact:
Elizabeth Harstad, Greater Mankato Area United Way, email@example.com
Sarah Beiswanger, Mankato Area Foundation, firstname.lastname@example.org